|Professional Services||Second Signal||Presentations||Andrew's Blog||Support|
I discovered something interesting yesterday. I'd written some code for a project I'm working on dealing with spam management. The code examines native mime, parses and pulls out target URL's and does some things with them. This means a huge amount of text processing. Instead of doing it like I had in LotusScript, I took advantage of Java's "StringTokenizer()" class for the heavy lifting. What I noticed when I ran the agent, was that both the primary thread and the hyperthread on the processor maxed out to nearly 100% for the duration of the agent. I'm guessing that concurrent to the parse work going on in one thread, the indexing and I/O work was being done in another. This has interesting implications for high performance code.
As to my processor --- I started getting overheat warnings. When I opened the machine, I saw that the Zalman fan was packed with soot and dust. I've cleaned it, but now I realize I need a new tube of thermal grease before I can really crank this machine up and work it hard again. Ah well. For want of a nail....
Please wait while your document is saved.