Andrew Pollack's Blog

Technology, Family, Entertainment, Politics, and Random Noise

Fixed my WAN connection failover problem tonight

By Andrew Pollack on 11/01/2011 at 09:36 PM EDT

For the last couple of weeks, my WAN connection here has been failing over from the Cable Modem to the backup DSL connection pretty frequently and the root cause has left me baffled.  Until tonight.

The failover is handled by my trusty old Sonicwall TZ-170 firewall.  It handles both the cable and dsl connections and can handle load balancing and failover.  For me, this combination makes sense since my public facing servers are all located at hosting centers so there's no need for a commercial network connection here. The total cost to have two different consumer grade connections isn't bad, and the reliability I get with the fail-over is worth it.


The problem has been that for the last couple of weeks, the faster cable connection has been periodically failing for no visible reason. Tests show me that the link is good, and if reboot the firewall it goes back to being happy...for a while. This configuration has been stable and reliable for a long time so it really had me scratching my head. It turns out that the answer was right there in the words "Trusty Old Sonicwall". The system had been reliable and stable, so I'd had no reason to look into updated firmware and it completely slipped my mind for the last several years.

You may remember that in 2007 we changed the date on which we switch the clocks for Daylight Savings Time. Well, I'd been lax in updating that trusty old Sonicwall and it was using the old dates. For the last few weeks, it's been off by one hour. When the system boots, it makes a brand new DHCP request and gets an address, then every few hours, it issues a DHCP "RENEW" transaction so that the address remains valid. When the DHCP RENEW transaction hit the provider's DHCP server, it had a timestamp that was off by an hour and was ignored. The firewall decided that since it couldn't renew its address, it had to invalidate that network port. Failover occurred.

I was able to test this theory by turning off the NTP (Network Time Protocol) settings and manually set the time on the firewall. Once I validated the fix, I went out and got an updated firmware for the TZ-170 and all is well.



There are  - loading -  comments....



Other Recent Stories...

  1. 06/02/2015Homeopathic Marketing: Traveler on my Android is now calling itself VERSE. Allow me to translate that for the IBM Notes community...I noticed today that my Traveler applications on Android have started calling themselves "IBM Verse" (e.g. "IBM VERSE - 2 New Messages"). I was confused at first, because I hadn't connected my test account on the IBM Verse cloud offering to my primary email at all. It turns out that no such connection exists. It's just a name change. Allow me to translate: Someone, or some group, fairly highly placed within the IBM adminisphere has finally come to the realization that the IBM Verse cloud offering (what we ...... 
  2. 03/17/2015A review of British Airways Premium Economy Service – How to destroy customer goodwill all at onceUpdated 3/24/2015 : Update in this color at the endMaybe an airline marketing person will read this and finally realize why business travelers increasingly hate them all. I'm sure both of my regular readers will be sympathic, though I'm also quite certain my little story will have no effect on British Airways whatsoever. It is sufficient to me that I can vent into the vast internet and allow this to live forever in the annals of the search engines. In the past I have recommended to my friends traveling to ...... 
  3. 02/26/2015There's a bug in how @TextToTime() and @ToTime() process date strings related to international standards and browser settings.That's a long title, but it's the most simple way I could come up with in one sentence to explain the issue. Here's what happens, why I ran into it, how to reproduce it, and a work-around. Background I am responsible for a web application in Domino, in which I use a non-Domino "Date - Picker" control. The result of that control is a text string representing the date, which I need to turn into an actual date-time value at save time. Complicating this, is that different standards exist for representing ...... 
  4. 01/21/2015Delivering two new presentations at Developer Camp (EntwicklerCamp) 2015 in Germany 
  5. 01/18/2015A brilliant concept -- Compulsive Narrative Syndrome 
  6. 01/16/2015Come talk to me at Connect in Orlando - I'll be there part of the time. 
  7. 12/04/2014Looking for a few people who want to beta test my new SSL Certificate Request tool. 
  8. 12/01/2014Well, it's official. IBM ConnectedED does not feel my contribution is worth the session time. 
  9. 12/01/2014First look at a new free Domino SSL certificate tool  
  10. 11/10/2014Simplified explanation and steps for upgrading to SHA-2 encrypted SSL certificates for Domino 
Click here for more articles.....


pen icon Comment Entry
Subject
Your Name
Homepage
*Your Email
* Your email address is required, but not displayed.
 
Your thoughts....
 
Remember Me  

Please wait while your document is saved.