Andrew Pollack's Blog

Technology, Family, Entertainment, Politics, and Random Noise

Maine Ice Storm Update -- 3rd Day w/o Power, 15 Degrees ( -9 degrees C)

By Andrew Pollack on 12/14/2008 at 08:52 AM EST

Think it's no big deal? Into the 3rd day here in Maine, and nearly 100,000 residences remain without power. Here's what happens if you can't heat your house.


That means no heat. No heat for the house also means no way to keep the pipes in the house from freezing and bursting. We're not just talking about the water pipes in the kitchen and bathroom here -- houses here are usually heated by pumping heated water through pipes that run through all the rooms to baseboard registers. Those pipes also freeze and burst if you don't keep the house warm.

So far, with temperatures well below freezing outside, many people in Maine and New Hampshire are dealing with their third day of fighting to keep this from happening.


There are  - loading -  comments....

re: Maine Ice Storm Update -- 3rd Day w/o Power, 15 Degrees ( -9 degrees C)By Richard Schwartz on 12/14/2008 at 10:51 AM EST
We got our power back yesterday morning, so we were down for about 36 hours.
No problems with the pipes, and no food spoilage. Here in NH, I think the main
difference between this storm and 1998 is that public works and the utilities
were better prepared. From my point of view, they did a great job.
re: Maine Ice Storm Update -- 3rd Day w/o Power, 15 Degrees ( -9 degrees C)By Richard Schwartz on 12/14/2008 at 07:11 PM EST
I have to back-pedal on that "better prepared" remark. Apparently we were just
amongst the lucky ones this time. There are still many, many thousands of
homes without power or heat, and its closing in on 72 hours now.
re: Maine Ice Storm Update -- 3rd Day w/o Power, 15 Degrees ( -9 degrees C)By Carl Tyler on 12/14/2008 at 03:53 PM EST
Urgh, I am still in the UK. Won't get back till tomorrow, but I know I have
not electricity which means no heat. I do have that plastic piping that is
supposed to be able to expand to account fro freezing so hopefully I will get
away ok...
re: Maine Ice Storm Update -- 3rd Day w/o Power, 15 Degrees ( -9 degrees C)By mom on 12/14/2008 at 06:17 PM EST
Been wondering how you were doing? Generators working?
re: Maine Ice Storm Update -- 3rd Day w/o Power, 15 Degrees ( -9 degrees C)By Fred Janssen on 12/15/2008 at 08:28 AM EST
Hi mom.
re: Maine Ice Storm Update -- 3rd Day w/o Power, 15 Degrees ( -9 degrees C)By mdmadph on 12/15/2008 at 02:49 PM EST
I know "the grass is always greener on the other side" and all that, but it's
72F where I'm at right now, and I'm sick and tired of it. What I would do for
a few months of 40F weather, at least.


Other Recent Stories...

  1. 12/04/2014Looking for a few people who want to beta test my new SSL Certificate Request tool.I plan to open source this tool once I've done just a little more testing with other people. Drop me an email if you're interested. I'm looking for around 5 people who have the time, know how to deal with SSL stuff already, and already have the Notes 9.x admin client on their machines. The idea behind open sourcing for me, is that I've created the functional tool, and there's a lot of room for making it nicer looking and adding other kinds of functionality. For example, this tool allows you to create and ...... 
  2. 12/01/2014Well, it's official. IBM ConnectedED does not feel my contribution is worth the session time.I know I'm in good company, and I don't deserve a session slot any more than anyone else -- but I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being a bit frustrated and disappointed. For now, I'll hold my tongue about the decision process,wish the best of luck to those who will be speaking,hope the people attending find the content helpful,and say that if you want the content I've been deliveringyou'll have to come to some of the user groups or to Rudi's"Admin / Developer Camp" ...... 
  3. 12/01/2014First look at a new free Domino SSL certificate tool I've coded something that I plan to release to the community if there is enough interest. It's designed to make the process of getting SHA2 certificates a little easier. I've had to request a fair number of these recently and the command line stuff is tedious and it's easy to make mistakes or misplace the various files. This tool uses the same steps as the process IBM documents and the same tools. You still have to install openSSL and the kyrtool update on your 9.x Admin client machine. The tool checks to ...... 
  4. 11/10/2014Simplified explanation and steps for upgrading to SHA-2 encrypted SSL certificates for Domino 
  5. 11/04/2014Warning: IBMs Interim Fix¬†adding TLS 1.0 to Domino can break connections from Python and some other scripting clients 
  6. 11/04/2014Patch for the SSL v3 POODLE exploit has escaped IBM and can now be downloaded. You REALLY need this patch 
  7. 10/29/2014Automatic Spam Report to Provider Agent 
  8. 10/21/2014Quick update on the Domino SSL v3 "POODLE" , TLS, and SHA-2 issues -- Good news 
  9. 10/16/2014Summary Recommendation for dealing with the POODLE SSLv3 Vulnerability on Domino servers 
  10. 10/14/2014Speaking tonight ath the ICU One (aka NE Notes Users Group) 
Click here for more articles.....


pen icon Comment Entry
Subject
Your Name
Homepage
*Your Email
* Your email address is required, but not displayed.
 
Your thoughts....
 
Remember Me  

Please wait while your document is saved.